Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ethan goes in for surgery tomorrow.  He'll have a double lumen Hickman port placed, ear tubes put in, and tonsils and adenoids taken out.  

The uninformed guesstimate was that the surgery would take about three hours.  But that was a combination of conversations that Sarah had in passing with a ear, nose and throat (ENT) resident that hasn't overwhelmed us with his knowledge and general clued-in-ness plus one of the pediatric anesthesia fellows. I wouldn't be surprised if it took longer.

Sarah is taking Ethan in around 1p tomorrow.  I think the surgery is scheduled at 2.  3+ hours for surgery, and then time for the anesthesia to wear off.  I reckon it'll be 6 or thereafter before we see him.

Ethan will be in the hospital for about 3 days, because they want to make sure that he's eating well after getting his tonsils out.  They tell us that he may spend part of that recovery time in pediatric intensive care so that they can monitor his respiration.

Sarah will be with him at the hospital tomorrow, and I'll pick up Caleb tomorrow afternoon and we'll all spend the evening at the hospital.  Then I'll sleep there with Ethan and Caleb and Sarah will be at home.  

I'll be in the hospital with him on Thursday, which is my normal day off.  And hopefully they'll be able to do his normal enzyme treatment with the new port.  That'll be cool because, after seven needle sticks last week, they couldn't get an IV in him and couldn't do his treatment.

Sarah and Caleb are due to come up Thursday evening.  Sarah will sleep at the hospital and I'll come home with Caleb. Friday, I think Grandma Pat and Grandpa Bob are pulling hospital duty, but I may try to telecommute from the family lounge at the hospital so that I can be present if needs be.  Fortunately, the hospital is only 10 minutes from my office (including parking time), so I should be able to bounce back and forth if I need to.

If everything goes smoothly, Ethan should be home sometime Friday.

This is serious, but pretty routine surgery.  The biggest possible issue is respiratory complications either administering or recovering from the anesthesia. I wouldn't be surprised if there are hiccups along the way, but overall, Ethan is in really good shape right now, he seems very active and strong, so we're confident that everything will go well.  

Sarah and I are kind of treating this like a dry run for the routines we'll adopt when Ethan goes in for his transplant.  There's one nice difference this time, though.  Since Ethan isn't immunosuppressed yet, he and we will be able to have visitors.  So if you'd like to stop by sometime between Wednesday afternoon and Friday, just give us a call.  Sarah's cell is 503-522-4405 and mine is 503-708-5901.

In transplant news, we're tentatively on the schedule to go into the hospital on October 21st or 22nd.    That will be nice because Sarah's father's family has an annual get together at one of the state parks here on October 17, and now we'll be able to go and see everyone and have one last weekend of normalcy.

In other news, Ethan is walking up a storm!  He's worked up to 7 or 8 steps at a time and it's getting to be a regular occurance. He's clearly having a blast getting around.  He's also become QUITE a climber.  He wants to climb up and on everything. He particularly likes climbing up the ladder on his brother's bunk bed (with assistance) and then walking around on the upper bunk.  Oy!

One final note.  This site has a section for pictures, but the picture handling capabilities aren't great.  I think we're going to continue to post our pictures, including pics of Ethan's hospital stays, up on facebook.  If we're not already hooked up with you on facebook, and you want to see the pics, just let us know.

I think that's about it.  Thanks for your thoughts and prayers over the next few days.